As of January 1, 2010, changes to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) went info effect. Please note the following:
- The new law changes the time for response to five business days.
An extension of five business days is permitted under various circumstances.
- Those submitting a request for a commercial purpose must identify that purpose or be subject to statutory penalties. The Park District then has a reasonable period (up to 21 days) considering the size and complexity of the request to make them available.
- The request must be submitted in writing (although the use of a particular form is no longer required).
- A written request should include the date and the requestor’s name, address, email address and a daytime telephone number so that a Park District employee can contact the requester if they have any questions.
The Park District may provide records in an electronic format and must do so if available in such format and requested in that format.
Fees are not charged for the first fifty pages of standard black and white copies. After the first 50 pages, the fee for black and white copies is $0.15 per page unless the actual reproduction costs (for color or oversized copies, for example) are higher. A fee equal to the actual cost may be charged for such copies.
The formal system for processing FOIA requests includes the following:
- Naming of a FOIA officer(s) who will be trained within six months and undergo annual training.
- FOIA officer will note the date and time the request is received.
- FOIA officer will calculate the five-day response deadline and note it in writing on the request.
- All documents related to a request will be kept until it is complied with or denied.
- Files of all FOIA requests and the responses thereto will be maintained.
How to submit a FOIA request
Please submit your request in writing to the Woodridge Park District. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways:
- All FOIA requests must be submitted to the FOIA officer, Executive Director Mike Adams via:
- In person or postal mail to the Woodridge Park District, 2600 Center Drive, Woodridge, IL 60517
- Fax to 630-353-3310
- E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the absence of the FOIA officer, please submit to Superintendent of Recreation Don Ritter at email@example.com; Superintendent of Finance Chris Webber at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Director of Parks, Planning & Development Jenny Knitter at email@example.com.
Questions regarding the FOIA process can be answered by calling the Woodridge Park District at 630-353-3400.